Las Vegas Sporting Community Responds To Tragic Shooting


Las Vegas Sporting Community Responds To Tragic Shooting

October 1, 2017, a man opened fire on a crowd who’d gathered to watch an outdoor music festival on the Las Vegas Strip. 59 people died and 530 were injured. So far, the response has been overwhelming.

Earlier this week, the Oakland Raiders football team announced they were contributing $50,000 to support the victims of Sunday’s shooting, and the NFL have promised to match their donation. While the Raiders still play in California, they’re scheduled to move to Las Vegas in a few years. Nevada have long been without any professional sports teams; however, the NHL’s Vegas Golden Knights are set to begin their inaugural season Friday. The Knights were quick to tweet out their condolences, saying:

“We are grateful for our city’s brave first responders, law enforcement and medical personnel and the courage they demonstrated under unimaginable circumstances. We join in our city’s mourning and offer our full support to the people of Las Vegas to help grieve, heal and persevere”

Along with the NHL, they’ve now donated $300,000 to help victims and first responders. Several players from the team have also visited the Vegas police department headquarters to meet staff and sign autographs. Golden Knights’ Nate Schmidt wrote a heartfelt piece for ESPN:

“At the convention center, people were gathered to find out whether their loved ones were alive. I can’t describe the heavy atmosphere of that place. Sometimes when you’re full of excitement, you’re at a loss for words — you can’t describe how you feel. This was probably the first time I’ve been at a loss for words on the other side of the spectrum. The victims, these were all people who were just enjoying a night out on the town, and the unthinkable happened. Some families were waiting to hear news. Others were beginning the grieving process. We met one man who had lost a brother and another who had lost a friend. You don’t even know what to say…

One lady I talked to, she was from Georgia, she was just here to visit, she was a nurse and said, “I’m just going to go to the local blood bank, extend my stay and start helping out.” That’s incredible. She was putting her life on pause because people needed her help… One of the big things I took away from the day was that support system. This is why this city can get back on its feet. But that glimmer of hope will be something people can call their own here in Vegas.”

While they’re only just becoming a presence in team sports, Vegas has already been central location for boxing and MMA for quite some time now. The UFC have already pledged $1 million to help the victims of this tragedy. UFC president Dana White told Yahoo Sports’ Kevin Iole: “Our focus right now is on supporting the community and those affected by Sunday evening’s events.”
White grew up in the area and the UFC currently have an event scheduled to take place later this week at the T-Mobile Arena on the strip. White spoke with TMZ, saying:

“This is my city, this is my town. I grew up here, I raise my family here. All my friends live here. This is where my business is. And the people … what we’re going to do is we’re going to donate $1 million to the people, the families, the people who are affected by this. And you know, it’s still too early, so we’ll see what pops up over the next week. But, we’re gonna cut that money up and donate it to a bunch of things that have to do with the tragedy”

UFC star Conor McGregor also released this statement:
“Absolutely devastated upon hearing the news in Las Vegas, a city with so much energy and life. A city of celebration and enjoyment, a city so close to my heart. I pray for all the victims, their families, and everyone affected by this senseless act of violence.”
GoFundMe page has been set up to help the victims and their families; there have already been several notable donors, including former heavyweight champion Mike Tyson.
[Photo via Flickr]